Friday, April 30, 2010

Refining work

We've entered a new-to-us phase of parenting lately and so far I'm not such a fan.

Jaedon decided to try on lying as a side-job. The pay is lousy yet he persists.

I have to admit- I was really shocked by how frighteningly devious and thought-out his lies were. He lied to several teachers, friends and then Brad and I. After I was told about all of this (thank you, Daddy the teacher!) I was really just plain mad! Then I felt like I had NO idea where to even start with disciplining him because honestly- spanking seemed too nice.
I am a goal-setting, preventative action type of gal and I felt very lost not having a game plan already rolling when this one hit. I know- get used to it right? =) I shared briefly about this during my Tuesday morning Bible study and was encouraged when one friend shared to "just do the next right thing." I don't have to have a big picture plan of action right now- just one right choice after another.
I am also encouraged to remember that my goal-setting ways are sometimes just plain prideful. I think I can fix something when it's not mine to fix. Jaedon is ours to disciple and train up in the way he SHOULD go- but ultimately I guess it's his choice if he chooses to go that way or not right? That is no excuse for apathy or laziness in my role as a parent- if anything it's motivating me to keep disciplining, keep on discipling all the while I pursue a deeper walk with the Lord.
Oh the journeys of refining.

No comments:

Blog Archive