Friday, November 25, 2011

November 21

Oh how fast life can change!
We got a call on Monday at 2pm from our fostering agency asking us to consider taking a little 9 month old baby girl.
Enter heart aerobics.
After talking with God, Brad and asking for some prayer from friends we said yes. She was brought to our house (after a lot of waiting) at 9:30 that night.
Since then I have been a very humble recipient of an overflow of generosity. I had very little information about her from my 2pm call - I knew she was 9 months old but what size diaper was she in? What size clothes was she wearing?
When we saw her we quickly saw that she at least is a healthy girl- wearing 12 month clothes already and got her weight to get her the right diaper size. She came with the outfit of clothes she had on, a hat, coat and blanket. I had 1 12 month sized sleeper for her and 1 size 3 diaper. =)
However, that was just exactly what I needed.
We had friends give us clothes, a monitor, onesies, pink bears, barrettes, diapers, wipes, dresses (!), swimsuits, burp rags, and socks. My list of "things I need" is very small. What a blessing.
Perhaps a bit invisible but just as meaningful to me is the love, support and acceptance we have witnessed these past few days. When we went to my in-laws for Thanksgiving yesterday there was already a framed photo of this little girl on her shelf with her other granddaughters. What a tremendous feeling to be so covered with support and unconditional love not only for us but for her.
So as I watch my "resolve to not become TOO attached" sail happily away into lala land I can't help but admit I am afraid. This little mocha colored baby is winding herself into all of our hearts already and the fear of the unknown future with her is a dangerous dwelling for me right now. Please pray about that with me. The words to this hymn came to mind this morning in my sleeplessness....

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose
heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best—
Lovingly, its part
of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,

He Whose
Name is Counselor and Power;
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;

(I love those lines!)
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
This the pledge to me He made.

2 comments:

The mom~ster said...

...Your bars shall be iron and bronze, and as your days, so shall your strength be.... Deut 33:25

~Carla~ said...

CONGRATULATIONS as you begin this journey into foster parenting. It is truly an emotional roller coaster, one minute falling in love, the next trying to build your walls, wanting to "keep" this new lil one, and learning to lean on and trust the Lord for whatever amount of time He lends this child to your home. Many blessings and prayers are coming your way. ~Carla Storer~

Blog Archive