Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Measure of success


There are things God allows in our life that is simply for FUN, for pleasure and for our enjoyment. And then there are the things God allows in our life to refine us. 
Kids are both for me.
I might be raising them but we are ALL growing up. 
And homeschooling? Wow. 
Just wow. 
I feel like I have a "I'm new here" sign on my head when I talk with homeschooling moms.  I'm barely scraping by here.  Granted, our decision to homeschool happened 5 weeks before the beginning of the school year. I had other time commitments already in place to happen through-out the year and homeschooling just got added. 
Jaedon, for his part, is rocking it.  He is fairly independent in his studies (frankly when I intervene too much it doesn't go as well as I hoped) and tells others he likes being homeschooled (noted that I am generally within earshot of this conversation so maybe he's just being polite?)
Looking back over the past 6 months we have done some pretty neat stuff... 
we've measured out Noahs ark (almost our entire street's length!),  done biography, plays, field trips, a few crafts (not my strength),  and made national foods.  Sounds pretty good eh?  
But I don't think any of these things mean it's been a success.  





 They all are neat experiences but the times I deem most successful thus far are the ones that come from the non-picture taking moments.   The times it's ugly and tough.  When I'm trying to keep my cool or trying not to be sarcastic (shocking right?)  or when I'm staring in the face of mediocrity and very ok with it thank you very much.  Tough.  Not fun.  But slowly, in my growing up, God is showing me how to instruct this heart.  Our readings may talk about India or Egypt but we are also learning about stewardship and work ethic.  And OH! are we well versed in apologies around here!  My glimpse of success was the other day when I overheard this one apologize to his brother without any promptings from me. The other snapshot I saw was him doing some odd chores just because "it needed to be done".  That may not sound like very much but for him  (and me) it's HUGE.  I am certainly not suggesting that one needs to homeschool in order to teach our children character- but for us it's been a great change agent that is completely timely in this ones life.  We are so thankful.

No comments: