Thursday, June 5, 2008

Labor


Just a disclaimer to read this at your own risk!

If you really don't want to know about labor- just look at the pictures and move on to the next post ;) (Dad, that was for you! ;)

Here's the scoop-

We got to the hospital at 3 am (yawn*) and started Pitocin around 4. Actually, pitocin went well this time- they started off slowly enough- I was just hoping my body wouldn't need it after a bit but they kept it going. Brad was able to snooze a bit (complete with snoring ;) and we played 5 crowns around6:30. (I won ;)

My doctor - (this is the first time my actual doctor delievered my baby) broke my water at 7:30 and told me the epidural doc. was on him way. I was very excited since in my labor with Seth, after they broke my water and I got my epidural, he was born about 1 1/2 hours later- I figured this would be the same if not sooner. So the epidural doc does his thing- was very nice (he didn't yell at me for "bleeding on him" like my doc. with Jaedon did! oye.) and I'm looking forward to relaxing and maybe even dozing a bit. Strangely- I'm still feeling the contractions. Hmm...

Well, to make a long story longer - after pumping me full of who knows how many meds, putting me on my side to help the meds get to the left hand side of my body (my right leg was numb as they come!) they determinded that the baby's head is probably against my spine (hence the back labor) and blocking the meds from getting to the "hotspot" (aka-anywhere EXCEPT my right leg =P )

I don't know if that's what "au natural" birth feels like all the time or if it was more intense because of 1/2 my body being numb... and I know I'm not the only woman in the world to deliver that way but wow. A direct quote from me in labor: " this sucks."

Anyway, that's the main, non-messy, details of Owen's birth. To me it was horrible but it was also the first time that IMMEDIATELY after he was born I felt bonded to him and felt total ecstacy (that could've been the drugs kicking in ;-). Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats!! Little Owen is adorable!! The pics are beautiful...you have a beautiful family. Glad to hear you survived labor...hope you are feeling better.

Richelle Wright said...

been there, done that one, too - my friend and your quote is very accurate. that was also when i said i'd never do another epidural...

of course, had 2 since then with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - and if offered... i might change my mind!

congrats to all of you - good job, mommy and daddy and he looks like big bros are givin' him lots of love. we are all so happy for you!

the entire wright gang

Blog Archive