Monday, May 17, 2010

Being fed

Two things have stuck out to me in my latest Bible study time.
We were discussing the miracle of feeding the 5,000.
Just writing that doesn't sound all that exciting unfortunately- I've heard the story dozens of times and there is a danger with apathy in the familiar. I enjoy reading familiar passages in unfamiliar translations. I've found that using different but similiar words can help bring fresh perspective to a less-than-fresh story. I disgress...

In reading the story it stuck out that only those who sat down were the ones being fed.
How often do I just SIT down to be fed by Christ? How often am I "still and know that He is..."? Am I one of the disciples that are busy picking up the leftovers of someone else's meal?

The leader also pointed out that the scripture reads that it was 5,000 MEN who were being fed. The woman and children (who KNOWS the actual number of people!) were fed and cared for but only after the men were. Now, that is a cultural thing I understand but the implications for me as a wife and mom are too obvious to not grasp. I need to be doing everything I can to encourage my husband to sit and be fed. Me and my children will be taken care of - but much more richly when my husband and their father spends time sitting with Christ- being fed by him, nourished, taught, still.

So how does that look in your life?

1 comment:

The mom~ster said...

this is an interesting application ... I'm going to have to mull it over...

Blog Archive