Thursday, May 13, 2010

Boys




I'm having a rough night tonight so I thought I'd blog to either 1. vent my frustrations and/or 2. write about my children and hope that the blessing of them will overshadow my feelings. Without further adieu...an overview of the boys...
Owen is transitioning very well into his soon-to-be 2 year oldness. Amazing how I don't have to teach him to say "Mine, No, Stop it, Seffey..." or how to throw himself on the ground, hit or throw things when he's mad. Now, why can't manners and self control come just as naturally?? Oh yea... that whole sin problem.
Owen is talking a LOT and loves to sing along to the ABC song we have playing (over and over and over and over and over ...) from a delightful toy stuck on our fridge.
He gives the greatest hugs!!

Seth is a really neat 4 year old boy. His imagination tickles me and keeps us in stitches throughout our day. Mealtimes turn into dragon slaying adventures with apples, carrots, cheese all taking turns being the hero or the villain.

Jaedon is my challenge right now and hence my bad attitude this evening. Without detailing the past 3 weeks I'll just say he has had more "in trouble at school days" than not. This week he has had only one day of not getting into trouble by his teacher. And to be sure- we are not letting him get away with it at home...which is why I am really baffled tonight. He has had doses of Tabasco sauce for lying, write apology notes, had to do multiple chores from scrubbing toilets, washing the cars, cleaning baseboards ...you name it! (based on him playing while he should be working means he gets to work while he should be playing), copy verses, go to bed early, run laps, and not get to take snack to school - along with spankings for disobedience. I seriously am at a LOSS to know what else we could POSSIBLY DO to get to him. Thankfully, despite my disposition this evening, our discipline has been carried out lovingly and at times I feel like we are reaching his little heart. But things simply are not changing! He is encouraging others to do the exact opposite of what the teacher is telling him and simply not obeying. I would really really love to hear any ideas you may have regarding this. I just need a bit of perspective tonight.

ok- now on to reciting my "children are a blessing from the Lord" mantra ...

3 comments:

BeckyG. said...

From what you have told me, consistency is the key I think. He has to know that no matter what he continues to do that you first of all still love him, and that you are NOT going to back down. You are going to win! (with God's help of course!) It seems like you just have to pick and stick with the few things you know he hates and that are effective and keep at it. I think you are doing a really good job of this! I know it is SO frustrating and that you see no end in sight. Pray, pray, pray and keep loving him through it. It is so painful and heartbreaking to dread when he comes home because you know you will have to discipline and not enjoy him. Seriously, this stage won't last forever right?!:) You ARE doing a good job. You ARE being effective even though it may not seem like it..it's getting in there. It is a new road to walk and I know God is with you every step. I'm sorry you have to go through this! I am praying that God's wisdom will overwhelm you and that you would see little glimpses of a heart change in him every day!

The mom~ster said...

This is a random thought -- does he need something really hard to do (beside being good) to make his bright little mind really work...do you think he might be bored?

Becky Gravley said...

wow, amber! this was a sad post for me to read. i SO remember being there with samuel 2 years ago. trav and i began to pray HARD, even doing a little fasting over lunch time and praying together. I wrote in my Bible next to James 1 ("if any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God...") the date and sam's name. we just prayed and prayed for wisdom from the Lord because we had NO idea what to do with this kid. almost a year later, God began to show us the answers with him, little by little. i have been overwhelmed with how he did that. i know he'll do it for you. love and prayers for you tonight.

Blog Archive