Wednesday, January 26, 2011

*whew*

I love how personal the Word of God is.
In my past weeks study we were reading about God calling himself the "Sovereign God" and the "gentle Shepherd". I spent some time reflecting on the two contrasts and similarities between these two titles.
Sovereign- reigning over all, in all, through all. A bigger-than-life concept that is a bit hard to grasp.
Shepherd- ranging from a fierce protector to a tender guide.

So how do I see these titles living out in my own relationship with God?
And then it struck me.
I don't.
Not because God isn't these things to me- but because I tend to look for them elsewhere- namely my husband.

As a woman, I LONG to be treated tenderly. I want to be taken care of, provided for, sheltered. Perhaps that is not true of every woman but it certainly is true with me.
Then oh so gently I heard God say- it's me! I can fill these desires that I've given you!
I'm asking my dear husband to treat me the way God longs to and already does!
I am looking for this perfect, tender protection that Brad simply cannot give simply because he is human! He certainly DOES treat me oh so very well- please hear that! I am so blessed by my humble, and gentle husband. But I cannot and should not expect him to fill that need that can only be completely satisfied by Christ.


Maybe I'm just a bit slow on the growing up part of things but I'm thankful I have a patient teacher.
Wait- oh just wait...I can hear Brad sighing with relief. ;-)
*whew*

1 comment:

The mom~ster said...

thanks sharing this....it is freeing for one's husband to not have to meet all his wife's needs...and it is security for the wife who knows the Lover of her soul can never fail in the meeting of her needs...the providing...the orchestrating...

Blog Archive