Monday, May 18, 2009

What MOVES you?

Ok so someday my children will see all I posted about them and be supremely embarassed...

but hey...until then- here's the latest blackmail picture!
I'm THRILLED that Seth has decided that the whole potty experience is an okay adventure lately. I've been working at it with him over the last several months and it's been within the last 2 weeks that he seems to have "got it". Although, to be real, he has yet to initate going to the potty himself- it's always on my prompting. I'm taking that to mean we're still in the "training" stage of things.

It cracks me up the the length I went (and still currently go thru) to encourage and motivate him to do this potty thing. Candy, unbelieveable cheers (I actually scared him once!), stickers, calls to Grandma when something TRULY grand ;) happens and promises of NEW underware! Pretty sweet deal if you ask me!

And somehow Seth's potty going experience (which I tried to stay clear of too many squishy details for you, Dad ;) came to mind as I was listening to the sermon yesterday. I'm still deciding if I should let my pastor know that one ;)

He was talking about motivation. What moves us to do things? I kept thinking about it yesterday and wow the list was long! What can motivate me to do certain things?

Anger.

Guilt.

Jealousy.

Seeking approval (wow could I write the book on this one.)

Why do I ... fill in the blank...

go to church?

pray with my husband?

teach my children God's word?

memorize scripture?

stop and help a neighbor with their groceries?

Our priorites are shown in what we choose to spend our time doing. And I'm reminded of the saying : "Only one life that will soon be past- only what's done for Christ will last." I don't know about you but I have become VERY good at doing things that LOOK like they are done for Christ - but my motives have shown that not to be true at all.

Are my motives for myself? Am I seeking something that will benefit me? Am I hoping someone is watching so they think better of me? (ouch!) Am I keeping a record book called "How many times I have sacrificed for my family so they had better show me some appreciation or else." (ok that's a long title for a book but you get the idea.) Ugly huh?

What SHOULD move me?

2 Corinithians 5:11- 15 The fear - awe, reverance, amazment, stunningness (is that a word?) of God and Christ's love- not the love we have for Christ but his love that he gives to us. With the help of the Holy Spirit I have recently noticed the amazing difference in doing things with selfish motives and doing things with godly motivation.

Awe and Love- Those are what ought to move me to do any of the tasks I see as priorites in my life.

Including potty training. Speaking of which- time to go remind Seth...

Blog Archive