Monday, October 12, 2009

Getting used to being used

We are quickly approaching the start of the "Marriage 101" class (as it has been deemed). Brad and I have been previewing the curriculum in the evenings (which has actually been kinda fun). We've decided to use Les and Leslie Parrots "Saving Your Marriage Before (and after) It Starts" DVD series. I was so overwhelmed trying to think about what marriage issues we should zone in on for a 5 week class!! There are so many things to cover- and seriously you could spend the entire 5 weeks on one or two topics. This book is great though- The first week, for example, is about exposing the myths of marriage and realizing your expectations of your roles in your marriage. (i.e. who was responsible for paying the bills, taking garbage out, making dinner, gassing up the car in your home growing up? well, surprise...that's probably who you'll expect to be doing it in your marriage too) It's some "well, duh" stuff but unless it's not pointed out -
well, DUH!
Anyway- I'm excited about it.
And getting very nervous.
I'm not a teacher. Brad is- I mean actually- by profession- but we're not teaching how to play a flute here. I'm thankful that we are not TEACHING it -( what do we know anyway?! =) but still the LEADING of it-truthfully- has me a bit scared. I so appreciated the message Pastor Wayne shared yesterday. Reminding me, yet again, that this big, HUGE Creator God wants to -and is fully able to- infuse me with his energy to accomplish any task he has for me. Today that means allowing God to use me to be the best mommy I can be- the best wife- the best friend. But these are roles that I've had for a while now- this class thing is new territory. So I'm choosing to believe that God will use me and Brad next Saturday evening- that couples marriages will be strengthened and that God will get ALL the credit.
Even still- if you think of it- pray for us k?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amber-you and Brad are a great team and you will be great leaders for this class! (Don't worry-you probably don't want to be too teacher-ish anyway lest you alienate the class.) I am sure your passion for helping marriages will shine through (as well as your great personality.) I know you are in prayer about this, so God will give you a burden about what is most important to share in the short time.

Mom H. said...

You guys will do great. I'll be praying. It'll be Saturday evenings? Every week? Remember, HE is strong when you are weak.

Bugle Boy said...

I am very excited for the path that God is leading you both on! I told Brad that I wish Becky and I could take the class too...but we don't fit the profile, have the time, or need to be in the way.

We would, however, like to borrow the materials when you're finished with them. : )

Blog Archive