Tuesday, November 13, 2007

For your soul

I am doing a Bible study at church and we are using a book called "Living Beyond Yourself" written by Beth Moore. Over the past few weeks we have been reading and learning about love- without making this a super long post I'll just say God has been reworking my heart in this area. Not only how I give (or don't give) love but how I receive it.
She wrote this poem that made me cry (everything makes a pregnant woman cry!) - but honestly as I read this I was thinking that I could've penned the very same words. I hope they speak to your heart too.

I've arrived at a conclusion,
maybe one of life's rare finds
that there's not a lot worth salvaging
within this heart of mine.

It's ever ready to destruct
and lie above all things...
It tends to laugh when it should cry
and mourn when it should sing.

I've wasted countless hours begging,
"Fix this heart, Lord, please!"
while it stomps it's feet and demands its way
and floods with sins disease.

At last, you're able to get through
and lay it on the line:
"You must give up that heart of yours
and trade it in for mine."

So I cry out with the psalmist,
create within me, Lord
A new heart crystal clear
that only Calvary could afford.

A heart which pounds the rhythm
of heaven's metronome
and issues forth a boundless love
and beats for You alone.

I want to love that which You love,
despising what you hate
and see myself as least of these
oh Lord, retaliate

The efforts of the evil one
who seeks to make my plea
that of his own, "I'll make no move
'til I've considered me."

Peel away my fingers,
finally make me understand
the power to love and please You
can't be found within a man.

So, my Lord, I bring this offering;
a stubborn heart of stone
And ask You, in it's absence,
please exchange it for your own.

1 comment:

BeckyG. said...

I love the line that says "You must give up that heart of yours and trade it in for mine". Wow....oh to have a heart like Christ all the time! It's so funny that you posted that poem because I almost did! Thanks for sharing that!

Blog Archive