Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Reminising

I love to reminise and find it especially fun to do at Christmas. I've come to realize that Christmas is more the month leading UP to and including the 25th of December. Maybe that's why there are so many memories that can be recalled.
I remember my best friend, Angela, and I would decorate my parents house every year. We hung tacky tinsel on the balcony and would act out the Christmas story for my parents! I remember one year we got a tree so large that my dad standing on the ladder could just barely reach the top for the star.
In high school my friends and I would go caroling to shut ins in our church. Whatever happened to caroling?
My mom and I would make a Christmas Tree shaped Cinnamon roll plate for Christmas mornings. yumm... I'll have to remind her of that one and maybe we and the boys could do that again this year.
Of course we always drove around and looked at Christmas lights. I don't know why that's such a kick for me but it still is! The town where my parents live now does an AWESOME job with lights!! As in- almost every house is done up- and done really well! There is one street that we walk to from their house called Candy Lane- every house is completely decked out. They have Bing playing over some speakers and a living nativity at the end of the street. Santa is there a few days too and hands out candy canes to all the cars. It's a highlight of our time there!
Brad first met my family in December that we were dating (all of 4 months!) We actually dared to take him to the "extended family" get together/anarchy that is my family and he first met Myron, my bigger-than-life-teddy-bear-sorry, Myron-but-rather-a-redneck brother. He had on his long leather trench coat, cowboy hat and had some pistol strapped to his side and said "nice to meet you." ;) I don't know if Brad laughed or peed his pants - but he married me anyway!!
That Christmas was also the first time Brad told me he loved me. Actually we kindof told each other - separately. I gave Brad 12 gifts for 12 days before Christmas - (things like 12 cookies, 7 buttons on a shirt, 3 "like you" letters) They all said "On the .... day of Christmas my true like gave to me..." (corny eh?) but on Christmas day I gave him a single red rose that said "On the First day of Christmas my true love..." *sigh* He wrote me a very long letter that mentioned...about a dozen times...that he loved me too. And he made me a CD of love songs!
Hmm... I'm smiling as I write these thoughts because 1.I don't know of anyone else who really cares about my Christmas memories and 2. Brad gave me a garbage disposal last Christmas - oh how things change!! (ps I really did LIKE the disposal just FYI ;)

As fun as reminising is and can be I'm also reminded at how important it is to live here and now- to start new traditions and live in the moments God gives us each and every day. So go ahead and have fun reminising all the yesterdays - but don't stay there. Live today!!
Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

BAHowells said...

I laughed out loud. But then again that's why I love you... And why I married you!

B

BAHowells said...

I laughed out loud. But then again that's why I love you... And why I married you!

B

Blog Archive