Friday, January 15, 2010

Red plates and silly traits

When I worked at a Christian bookstore during college I remembering seeing a VERY red, ceramic plate that said "You are Special Today" on it. I also remember thinking that anyone who spent $25 on it must really need a friend.

Sometime within the past few months I read somewhere (or heard somewhere) about the idea of having a special plate at dinner to randomly honor an individual in your family on non-days. Not just birthdays or anniversarys, Valentines or Thanksgiving- but normal everyday days to celebrate the unique, quirky, special and silly traits that make it fun to have them part of the family.

Then I thought about THE PLATE.
Oh man- was I really going to go there???
So ok- I did NOT spend $25. I spent $1 on a simple plastic plate from the dollar store and used a Sharpie marker to make it...uh...special. ;-)

Brad was the honoree this time. Despite the moderately cheesy questions the rest of us got to answer about him (i.e. Where is he tickelish, what makes him laugh, what do you love about him etc...) it was enjoyable!

It just goes to show me that, once again, don't judge a plate by it's redness! ;-)

2 comments:

BeckyG. said...

I love how you can improvise and create your own version of more expensive things! I think yours looks way better and you have such great handwriting! Honestly, I saw that at your house yesterday and thought it was store bought, lettering and all! Your family is special just for all the fun things you do for them!

The mom~ster said...

i keep thinking i was to go to the pottery shop in town with SG and make a plate like that...one of these days (hopefully before their brining grandkids home)

Blog Archive