Friday, June 19, 2009

Say what?

The following are some things I've heard lately that I've found rather amusing. Hope you get a laugh or two too.

"That'll be $17.02." (for McDonalds?!! Are you kiddin' me?!)

"Thanks, Dad, but I only have one head." (said by Jaedon when Brad was giving him multiple pillow options.)

"Mommy, I need to get up and excercise." said by Jaedon while traveling at 73.5 MPH down the highway.

"Would you like whipped cream with that?" Is this rhetorical? What a dumb question.

On a bumper sticker: "Debt is normal. Be weird."

"Mama, if I fall in I'll just float to the top anyhow." Remarked Jaedon as I was chiding him to kindly get off the edge of the fountain.

"Confession- a habit of humilty." ok not a chuckle but a good thought anyway.

We took the boys out for Cold Stone ice cream last night. Ok, first off how in the hey do they get off charging that much for ice cream? And more importantly why do I keep paying for it?! ;) So this was a special treat (a potty incentive reward number 29574). Typically when we go out for ice cream (you know..the other 2 times we've gone this spring) they get to choose between vanilla, chocolate or twist even though most ice cream places have about 29 flavors... whatever. And typically if we are at home they will choose the same things: Jaedon wants chocolate and Seth wants mint. Well, we thought it would be fun to let them see all the ice cream and let them choose whatever they wanted last night. The choices were great! Cotton Candy, Watermelon, Cheesecake, Strawberry, Chocolate pudding, Coffee... ahhh... every childs dream come true right?!
Jaedon chose Chocolate.
Seth chose Mint.
After just chuckling to myself about the irony of paying $*#&@ for the same stinking choices we have at home I was thinking about the comfort of the familiar. I do the exact same thing. I choose what I'm familiar with or what I know works. Makes sense right? In my all-together- too practical mind I understand this to a core. Which makes faith a challenge for me at times. Trusting in the unseen and stepping out of the zone of comfort I find myself living in. But we are not called to be comfortable but to be conforming- to his image and his likeness.
That means going out on a limb - talking with people that are not like me, relinquishing my own selfish desires, investing in the lives of other people and maybe JUST MAYBE...
choosing a different flavor of ice cream.

2 comments:

The mom~ster said...

here's our method for feeling like we don't pay so much at McD's...first we settle all the kids at a table with the dad...then the mom goes and orders the food for the kids...we then pretend we are running a three ring circus while we feed them their food...when they are nearly done we get our food...and eat it...and take our coffee to the car with us so we can drink it hot while we drive...and that makes us feel like we haven't spent $20 on the nasty excuse for food...since we spent $10 two times...odd logic I know...but its all a mind game...

Bugle Boy said...

That's amazing! At least there isn't a flavor of ice cream entitled "chicken nuggets and french fries", right? Wow...I honestly don't relate to that because I am so excited to try new flavors...
BTW - it's not worth it to spend $20, but it certainly is worth it to spend $20 at Coldstone. Go fig...

Blog Archive