Sunday, June 28, 2009

Discovering my Superpower

This morning Seth was doing a Sesame Street puzzle and didn't know the names of one of the characters. He asked Brad who told him it was Count.
"Count CooKoo?" (aka Count Dooku from Star Wars)
*sigh*
Yes, my 3 year old knows more about Star Wars than I.
Having the boys that I do I am discovering that somehow there is something in their very core that yearns for heroic tales and super powers that are sure to amaze. Jaedon and Seth take turns being (fill in the blank) Anakin or Luke Skywalker, Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and Seth espeically will make up his own Supermen (i.e. CarMan, UnderwareMan, BananaMan...usually depending on what he wearing at the time ;-) They like to pretend they have special powers and 'use them' on each other. It's actually quite a hoot to see them 'using the FORCE' on each other ;)

Today as I was trying to nap(unsuccessfully since I am typing right now and not sleeping...) I was thinking about what power I have. Not said in a "Mhwaa hha haa" evil chortle type of way either. =)
I think my superpower needs to be encouragment.
I can see the headline now: "Supermom with the power to encourage." The oohs and Ahhs are deafening...
ok not so much. But that's ok.

"Encourage one another and build each other up."

What works better for you (meaning me) : 1. Yelling at your kids for...uh..yelling at each other or B. Encouraging them to talk nicer and reminding them how to talk out problems. (neither some days! ;)

What works better for you (meaning me): 1. Nagging your husband to be involved in the lives of his children or B. Noticing something that he did well and sincerly praising him for it.

If I was honest with you (which I am right now just for the record) I'd say that my nagging, complaining, whining, pouting (am I alone here?) does NOT get me the desired response I am seeking (infact usually the opposite) but when I take time to notice the positive, point out areas of growth and gently encourage steps of potential further improvement- well, therin lies the ultimate superpower that may even outrank heat vision!
In and of myself I do number 1 but with and only with a supernatural power- my superpower could be empowering to my superheros.

No comments:

Blog Archive