Friday, August 28, 2009

Aug part 2


How can I pick 6 pictures to highlight an entire week when I ended up taking more than 100?
We had a super sweet time renting a cottage with Brad's family "up north". It's funny because this cottage idea is completely foreign to me! This brought about a lot of interesting discussion on how people vacation differently. Growing up my dad had a job that required an annual trip for a several day conference so my family always made it a family vacation. We got to see lots of places (like Yellowstone, Garden of the Gods, Yosemite, and Mt. Rushmore ) and typically combined it with visiting family that lived in CA. You could say we were busy vacationers. Brad grew up with the idea that vacation is to relax (novel idea! ;) . Some of his favorite memories are the ones involving church camp and the few years his family rented a cabin by a lake (not unlike our cottage week).
I think I like the combination of the two. I enjoy relaxing and being able to read (altho I wouldn't say I was able to do that completely at the cottage...I mean, there are still children around! ;) but I like to go, do and see in moderation too. Hmm... hard to escape our upbringing isn't it?
The whole week was really quite delightful. Accommodating to the needs of the kids but still getting in some good ole fashioned relax time too.
And THEN we went to PA...

1 comment:

Mom H. said...

If dad had his way, we would have done "go, go, go" vacations all the time. But after a few of those, I was the one to say "let's relax, please" (does this surprise you??). That happened after the boys were older, hence, the fact that Brad remembers those better. Plus church camp became part of our tradition then too. Good times, then and now. Our cottage week together was fantastic. Let's do it again, ok? :-)

Blog Archive