Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Get ready, set,...GO.

We had some really big news in our church this past week. Our senior pastor has turned in his resignation. He helped start the church 30 years ago when he was fresh out of seminary. The growth of not only the church but the ministries and church plants that have been made over these past 30 years are nothing short of supernatural. I could go on and on because I have the utmost respect for his godly leadership.
He gave a message this past weekend talking about Abraham. Nothing all that "new" to anyone who has been in church their whole life: God said "Go." Abe went. God said "Don't worry-I'll show you where and when." Abe believed.
Now I don't know about you but if this story was about me it - first of all would NOT have made the Hebrews Faith chapter- and probably would've been more like this:
"Go."
"Who? Me? Oh. Uh.. ok... Go. Sure. Where would you like me to go? I'm willing and all but let's hammer down some details k?
"Go."
"Well, does hotwire have any good deals on lodging between here and...wherever it is you're sending me because I gotta tell ya, I've found some pretty sweet deals on Hotwire! Oh! And since we're on the travel itenerary what about food? I mean, I've got kids and they're gonna need to stretch after being on a...uh..camel all day. Any playplace options?"
"GO!"
"Oh and hey- how am I going to know we've ARRIVED? I mean, is there going to be a blinking neon sign or something? What are the schools like in this new area? I mean, I've got my family to think about! This whole just GOING thing seems a bit irresponsible if you ask me!"

At which point God would probably just give up and moved on to someone else.

Well, I've had such a conversation (sort of) with God this past week. Let me explain.
This past school year Brad helped organize an "old instrument" drive thru our church- they collected any isntruments people had just collecting dust and decided to donate them to an orphanage/school in Zambia, Africa. A team recently went to Zambia and delivered the instruments. The kids were THRILLED to have them. The leader of this project casually mentioned the idea to Brad and I that we should go to Zambia for a week and teach the kids how to play these instruments. I mean, that is what he does for a living and all!
Seed planted.
As Brad and I discussed the (at first ludicirous but cool sounding) idea we, casually, mentioned that it would be neat but Spring Break would really be the only time we could go right now.
Then we found out that there is a team trip scheduled to go to Zambia over Spring Break.
We, again, casually thought- "hmm, maybe my mom could come out and watch the kids for the week."
After mentioning just the above events with my mom she piped up and said "oh well, I could just come out and watch the kids for the week then!"
Hmm...
So enter the money aspect. (or just doubt?)
Going to Africa t'aint cheap (right Richelle?:) and we t'aint rich!
So as I was listening to Pastor Wayne talk about Abe he said - Some of us just want to sit the in "Show" seat. As in, 'I'll go God as long as you show me what's ahead first.' But God is honored when we simply obey and let him show us what he wants, when he wants and how he wants.
Like I said, growing up in the church I KNOW this and have heard it a million times but I felt God saying "what is it that is holding you back from Zambia?"
cringe: "money."
(I don't know how in the world we'd get over $5,000 for Brad and me to go!)
"Go."
Sooooo....
lemonade stand anyone??? ;-)

5 comments:

The mom~ster said...

:o) smiling ear ta ear excited for ya.... **squeal** He t'aint a small God...$5,000 is like pocket change ta him ;o)

BeckyG. said...

You write so well! And I love your humor!
We will happily support you guys if you decide to go! Amazing opportunity!

Katie said...

Send us a support letter too! Even if you do it via email!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the blessings of God's Calling! Stretching, Growing, Learning and Leaning+++++++many other things! I am going to be praying for the need and we (the Ulmers) want to be priveleged to assist in this opportunity for you! PSU:)

Richelle Wright said...

no words... just :-)s...

Blog Archive