Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Progress and Promises

I'm an extremist, pessimist, doomsdayer, worst-case-scenario type of person.
Pleasant huh?
I tend to see the "what could be" and work my derndest to make it ... not be.
What can I say- I'm a work in progress.
So my extremism lately is about Jaedon.
He and I are a lot alike. (except for the whole he's way smart thing ;) I feel like I can see inside of him at times- I KNOW what he's thinking and feeling because I remember thinking and feeling the same way. He also tends to be a "follower" - rather than a leader- which is fine because that is how God made us...I mean him ;-) but it does lead to my area of "ahhh" lately.
School started. Anyone else get that memo?
So here I am Day 2 and I'm already extremistizing about the school year.
Namely there are 2 other boys in his every day life that are...uh...challenging his view of authority, rules and behavior.
He came home today and told me he "made it" into this club that they had in K-garden in which one of these said boys was the "leader". It appears that being "in" just means to hang around at recess - probably doing whatever the leader wants you to be. (great, my 1st grader is in a gang!)
Hmm...Jaedon, follower...yep. Sounds 'bout right. Personally, I was totally ok with him NOT being "in" the club last year. *sigh* whatever.
So as I am gently trying to pry any sort of information out of him without seeming too alarmed I'm also trying to gently speak to him and remind him that he is responsible for his own choices and he had BETTER BE MAKING GOOD CHOICES OR ELSE I'LL... oh wait... no. I didn't do that. Today. ;)
For whatever reason I felt as if I had a pit in my stomach.
I left the house to go work out, turned off the radio on my drive and just prayed.
"God, please bring a child of good influence into Jaedon's life."
"God, Please give me wisdom to know how and what to say."
"God PLEASE give me discernment to know what NOT to say."
I kept praying and the pit got smaller. Scripture came to mind about turning our worries into prayers; our minds will be peaceful when we focus on the Prince of Peace; making our requests known to God.
The pit disappeared. Not only that but I got a second reminder:
Now, you may be thinking that the rainbow in the sky is just because of moisture and refracting sunlight...but I know better. God sent it just for me today to tell me 1. He loves Jaedon more than I do and has great things planned for him and 2. He is promise keeping God.
What kindness.

P.S. Brad thinks my newest playlist song is hokey but it managed to keep me teary eyed for a bit. What do you think?

2 comments:

BeckyG. said...

I will definitely be praying for you! Isn't it such an obvious thing to pray about our worries but we don't always do that! It's amazing how God takes away our pits when we trust soley in Him and not our own mind! You have done such a good job with Jaedon as far as teaching him Scripture and making it a part of his life. It will come back to him in those tempting moments and he will hopefully do the right thing! God is using you too to help Jaedon become a godly man!

The mom~ster said...

not to make light of your heart felt sharing...but we have our own 1st grade club/gang/bunch of Jesus freaks ... and the leader/organizer etc is none other than the bright and beautiful daughter of mine...on a positive note her club is very inclusive (they wanted to set papers to invite people to it out by the road so EVERYONE could come) AND they want to be prepared for both boy and girl emergencies (megan is supposed to bring girl band aids and she is supposed to buy a pack of transformer and ??? kinds) they also plan to have a stash of tissues...and it is called the "Jesus club". I understand they meet Saturday afternoons...and I'm curious to see just who will show up since she has invited (really) everyone. Maybe we should have some cookies on hand this weekend just in case people do...or don't show up....it must just be a stage

Blog Archive