Sunday, September 13, 2009

What to read

I'm a reader wanna be.
I read. I like to read. I really enjoy reading.
But I need a book that keeps my interest. Good character development, good plot, surprises. I don't like being able to predict what happens within the first few pages of a book. I've recently discovered that since I don't have hours on end to spend reading like I would love to be able to do I have become even more selective in what I am choosing to read.
A few months ago I read a small and huge book called the "Treasure Principle" (Randy Alcorn). Small in text (less than 100 pages) Huge in application. If you haven't read it - do.
Then I read "Have a New Kid by Friday" (Dr. Kevin Leman). I love fresh perspective and practical parenting advice. Two thumbs up.
Last week I started reading "Walking with God" (John Eldredge) I'm loving it. It's basically a journal he kept over the course of a year that documents how he maintains his daily walk with Christ. It's like sitting down to coffee with someone you want to learn from. It has it's own surprises and I think it's really worth the time spent reading it.

So although I'm not typically a "non-fiction" reader- I think I'm becoming one...or at least a non-fiction reader wannabe!
There is a lot of greatness out there- with or without a plot.
And I'd have to say I am enjoying the character development - my own character that is.

No comments:

Blog Archive