Friday, July 3, 2009

Beachin' it


Ok I'll admit it- I'm not a HUGE beach fan.
*gasp*
Before you hail sand at me... let me say it's mainly because I don't like crowds. I know- weird.

Seriously though- Once you pack all the suits, lotions, sandtoys, swim toys, waters, towels, umbrella, sippy cups, sunglasses, diapers, wipes (do I need to go on?!) Then there's the trick of hauling all the "needed supplies" (and children of course) TO your space that is no doubt entirely too close to where ciagrette smoke, profanity, making out, and streaking (purposefully or not) will more than likely occur. And, as is typically the case, once the wagon has been pushed, hauled, and kicked thru the sand to get to your spot and your blanket is laid and just perhaps you can sit a moment to get the sunscreen out you hear "Mama...I need to go potty!"
grrehs@#*sde$id*.

Once we make the journey to the (don't even get me started) on the bathroom/changing rooms and trudge back again to our "space" - I was able to enjoy being there (despite what it sounds like from this post) merely from watching my children (and husband) enjoy themselves. Brad got to flight his stunt kite which I always like to see him do. Jaedon bounded right into the water (a chilly 64degrees!) and had a ball. Seth found the shovels and made them into (shocking) light sabers of which I had to continuously remind him that light sabers are not supposed to be able to THROW SAND! And Owen made it his personal mission to seek and sample all the discarded ciagarette butts. Precious.

While I was packing for our adventure, and in a moment of absurity, I decided to toss a book in our beach bag.
HAhaahahhhaaahhahahahahhaaaahhahaahahahaa.
Ha.
Needless to say- it stayed there.

I heard a saying once that said "Children save a mother from her own toxic self-absorbtion."
While I would not (probably ever) choose to go to the beach on my own accord I was really able to find joy in their pleasure.
What a gift.

1 comment:

The mom~ster said...

maybe you should either do a little streaking...making out...or let the boys skip that hike to the bathroom...that would probably garner you a little buffer zone around the space you've claimed there in the sand... ;o)...I've been telling you for a while that we need to swap houses for a year or two.... ;o) I could live closer to the beach and you could live closer to here ;o)

Blog Archive