Saturday, July 11, 2009

Madame Blueberry Syndrome

Have you seen the Veggie Tale movie called Madame Blueberry? I used to hate it because when I worked at Kregel there was a song from there that was on one of the kids kiosks and it played ALL THE TIME.
Well, Dad, I'll give you the condensed version. It's about a blueberry (oddly not a vegetable!) who has everything she needs but she's so "blue hooo hooo" because she wants more. She is visited by salesmen from the new, grand store called the StuffMart who tell her that all her unhappiness can be solved by coming to their store and buying everything she wants.
So, she does.
And just as a cliffhanger I'm NOT going to tell you how it ends. (That and the point of this post is not in the ending of the blueberry's story but the beginning.)

I've been noticing lately that my children are showing some blueberry symptoms. So as I am brainstorming ways to help them with their contenment (or lack thereof) I realized that I am discontent!
I'm discontent with our cultures lack of contentment. Confused yet?
Think about it...Our culture THRIVES even depends upon on our being discontent.
Commericals, billboards, magazines, newspapers ads - all the "marketing" exsits to make you realize you never knew you NEEDED what they're selling until they
make you THINK you NEED it.
What a croc.
This is how I see it lived out with me.
I get the Sunday paper- I see the ads and THEN realize what I need for the week.
HUH?
Seriously?
No No! It's true- I spend MORE when I know what's on sale then when I don't.
Ok, so I have nothing against stocking up sales- that's not where I'm soapboxing today ;-)
I never knew I NEEDED (Fill in the blank) until I see that "everyone has it" or "it's too good a deal to pass up."

*Ahem- that's MRS. Blueberry to you!
We're willing to go to whatever lengths, pay whatever cost (and not just monitarily) all because we want it. (which oddly sounds an awful lot like my child's reasoning when we're at the store!)
So in seeing these symptoms lived out not just in my offspring but in myself I decided to investigate and search a cure.
Thankfully, there IS a cure for the blueberry syndrome!
I found it in an AWESOME book that will help anyone looking to cure the gimmie disease within yourself or your family. The book is called the Treasure Principle. (by Randy Alcorn)
The premise of this book is really quite simple:
"You can't take it with you but you can pass it on ahead."
Spend your money, your time, and your energy on things that will LAST - things that have eternal focus and purpose.
Isn't it just like us to search and scrimp, spend and save in looking for happiness and isn't it just like God to turn us upside down and say - give, give, give and give and find joy!
GIVING cures the GIMMES everytime.



2 comments:

The mom~ster said...

well put

Anonymous said...

This post really spoke to me. Not necessarily because I am discontent, but because Shane and I have had so many similar conversations about how we are to use our money. God sure has laid orphans on our heart. We're not sure "how" he plans to use our money (adoption? Missions? Sponsorship? etc) but we've really realized this past year that we can buy lots of "stuff", but it never really makes us happy. Or.. we can invest it in peoples lives and make a WORLD of difference. It really gives you a whole new perspective on things. Thanks for the reminder. BTW - I can't stand that Madame Blueberry tape... I sing, "I'm so BLUE-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO! I am so blue I don't know what to do!" ;-)

Blog Archive