Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mirror or Window?

This past Sunday we were greeted with a sign that said "Welcome to our 'Intergenerational' service!"
This is a fancy way of saying- no kiddie care. (Well, 2yrs and under still have nursery thank goodness).
So this marked the first time Seth joined us for the service. We had no time to "prep" him at home (like we did Jaedon about a million times), and no backpack of things to do. And, if you know Seth even just a little, he's... I don't know the term...he's our little space cadet. =) He is SO imaginative and inventive that he often lives in his own little world. He is not at the age of reason yet either so I was a bit nervous about how the service would go. Jaedon has been joining us for "big church" for the past year so he's an ole pro.
I had a hard time concentrating on the message but I did get some nuggets that I thought were great to share.

Pastor was talking about how we handle times of adversity in our lives. (okay, so calling an Intergenerational service and adversity is stretching it a bit ... ;-) He had 2 illistrations. He said people tend to either be a mirror or a window when they are put in a difficult position. The mirror-people look at themselves, their situation, and their circumstances. They don't see much else going on in the world unless it involves them.
Then there are the window-people. Those who may have the exact same circumastances as the mirror-people but they choose to look out and around them. They see other people in need, other people in horrific adversity and realize that they are not the only people going through hard times in this life.
He had some tough questions too:
1. am I self-centered and focused only on my own relief or do I pray for and bless others?
2. Do I listen only to those who tell me what I want to hear and look for an easy way out?
3. Do I seek God will all my heart and look to His promises to provide the peace that I need?

I have the tendency to be a mirror. Don't we all? My life can get so wrapped up in what I am interested in, what I care about, what activites I'm doing that I forget to look out the window and take a look through God's eyes. But when I do- wow. What a view!

1 comment:

The mom~ster said...

and a window lets others see in...to the one who provides us with grace for the adversities of life...even the mundane ones...like an unprepared preschooler in the worship service...

Blog Archive