Sunday, February 28, 2010

Take 2

If you remember last fall Brad and I led a "Marriage 101" class - and only 2 couples attended. Despite being discouraged we were challenged with the fact that there are MANY young couples who attend our church regularly and would we want to try it again?
So in a few weeks we're going to give it another go. We're changing the time slot we meet at and the curriculum this time-
However, I found this study that I'm SO excited about!
It's by Dennis and Barbara Rainey- president of Family Life Today. (of which I am a HUGE fan) I love that each chapter of this study uses lots of Scripture in making it's key points about building your marriage. Our last study we used, while I liked it and will probably use it again sometime, emphasized more statistics and research.
This one says - you want a godly marriage? Ask God how!

So I'm wondering if you can help me out.
Chapter one is called Preventing Isolation.
My question for you (you can answer as hypotheically as you'd like ;-)

What are some ways selfishness can exhibit itself in marriage?
or
How does isolation affect a marriage?

I've been praying for another couple with a passion for marriages would be willing to take up the torch with us in this- (An older couple with more experience would be amazing!) I think the different experiences and personalities could bring a richness to the discussions and relationships.
Until then, I may have to keep asking you for some thoughts.

1 comment:

The mom~ster said...

my experience is that when I feel that my husband is being selfish and i start feeling __________ (fill in the blank--but it boils down to self pity) and i begin to examine the situation i find actually i am the one being selfish...wanting someone to do something FOR ME, think OF ME, take care OF ME. if i stop to consider for very long i begin to realize that in those times...i have not been doing much FOR HIM, thinking OF HIM, caring FOR HIM.

this is a cycle that feeds itself...and truly requires divine help to break -- for me.

i had never thought of selfishness and feelins of isolation together...but selfishness and pride and isolation and fear all do go together don't they?

the pusuit of holiness is not our natural pusuit...it is supernatural to pursue holiness...and even more so in marriage...where we are fed so many lies about marriage = fullillment. when in truth marriage is about sacrifice, service and dying to self...at least that is the picture we are supposed to be portraying if we are portraying Christ and His brid.

Blog Archive